Food: Bourbon Glazed Salmon
I’m sure you’ve read more than once that you need to eat healthier; to avoid this and eat more of that. While I would never propose that this is a “healthy blog”, I mean, I paired bourbon with chocolate last week, made a boozy bourbon bread pudding another week and who can resist delicious cheeses with a dram, but sometimes we come across something that not only tastes amazing, but is good for you. When this happens, just like a great bourbon, we need to share this with our friends. Salmon is a delicious, meaty fish that is rich in omega 3’s (excellent for your heart health), it’s low in saturated fats and high in protein. Add a bourbon based marinade/glaze and you know this will be on your regular dinner rotation. Definitely company worthy!!
Bourbon Glazed Salmon (4-6 servings)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup bourbon + 2 oz
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 lbs salmon (I used a fillet)
1, Combine all the sauce ingredients, except for the 2 oz of bourbon. You know where that is going! Mix the ingredients until they are well blended.
2. Place the salmon in a Ziploc bag and add the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 min or up to 8 hours. Alternatively, you can place the salmon in your baking dish, add the marinade, cover and refrigerate.
3. Remove the salmon from the fridge and let sit for 15min. Preheat the oven to 400 F
4. Place the salmon in a 9x13 baking dish and pour the marinade over top. Bake for 20 min.
5. Pour that 2 oz of bourbon and pat yourself on the back for making a healthy meal loaded with good stuff. Cheers to you!!
4. Remove salmon from the oven, portion and spoon remaining sauce over each piece. Enjoy.
Rice makes a nice addition to the salmon, sprinkled with sliced spring onions. Add a side of asparagus, green beans, carrots or whatever your favorite vegetable is and you have a beautiful meal to be shared with friends. Simple, healthy and delicious.